From the very marvellous Molly Katzen’s Moosewood cookbook and all the better, of course, if the spices are freshly ground… and the ginger freshly grated!
Ingredients: serves 4-6
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon cloves or 1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
1 cup chopped celery
1 1/2 lbs (700g) mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained, juice reserved
2 medium green apples, cored and chopped
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon honey, to taste
Fresh lemon juice, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste
Basmati rice, for serving
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 50 mins
1. Melt butter in large skillet.
2. Add onions and garlic and saute over medium heat.
3. After onions begin to soften, add spices and salt.
4. Saute another 5-8 minutes until onions are completely softened.
5. Add celery and mushrooms.
6. Mix well, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. You can add up to 1/2 cup of water or reserved tomato juice to prevent sticking.
8. When celery is tender, add tomatoes, apples, coconut, honey and lemon.
9. Cover and continue to cook until vegetable are tender, but not overly soft.
10. Additional water may be added if pan gets too dry.
11. Add cayenne to taste, remove from heat.
12. Let curry stand, covered for another 10 minutes.
13. Serve over rice.